By Jeff Spadafora, Director of Global Coaching and Product Development
It’s not uncommon for one of our Halftime Coaches to hear someone say, “I’m willing and able to go make a positive difference in the world, but I’m not hearing God’s voice as I try to figure out His calling on my life.”
I had the same challenge. The more I think about it now, the more I realize it wasn’t an issue of hearing God. It was a matter of trusting Him. You see, God has already spoken. He already told us what we should do to experience heaven on earth and beyond:
- Jesus started with an overarching commandment: Love God and others (Mark 12:30-31). That’s a good place for us all to start… and keep coming back to
- Then He gave us the Great Commission: “Make disciples of all the nations” refers to (1) evangelism and (2) discipling (Mt. 28:19). The first is about creating believers in Christ, the second is about building followers of Him. This latter field of endeavor is what we at Halftime have dedicated our lives to
- He also said (3) feed the hungry and (4) give drink to the thirsty (Mt. 25:35)
- (5) Give hospitality and shelter to the stranger /foreigner/refugee (Mt. 25:35)
- (6) Clothe the naked, (7) care for the sick and (8) visit the imprisoned (Mt. 25:36)
- (9) Help widows and (10) orphans (Psalms, Isaiah, Acts and especially James 1:27)
- (11) Provide justice to the oppressed and disenfranchised (multiple references from Matthew, Mark and Luke)
There you go. God already told us what we should do. The next step is to figure out how to use our skills, resources, platform and relationships to impact one or more of those 11 areas.
So here’s the formula (if I dare suggest a formula for anything involving the Holy Spirit!):
- apply the skills that give you energy
- to a cause that makes you and God mad, sad, or glad
- in an organization with the right role and culture for you
- do it all in Jesus’ name, and;
- you’ll be in the flow of what God wants done on earth.
Where that all intersects is where your greatest joy in life will be. It won’t come from closing another deal, buying something else, or checking off your next bucket list item.
Hopefully this offers clues about what to do with your life. Don’t over think it. Trust that God’s love, flowing through you in one of the ways above, will lead you to the peace and joy you are craving.
Here are a few ways we can help you.
The Halftime One on One Program